building is near the High Commissioner’s Palace on the coast
road leading to the harbour. It was built about 1832 on the site of
an earlier mansion owned by the family, in which the first prime
minister of the modern Greek state, Ioannis Kapodistrias, was born.
The building later came into the possession of the Septinsular
Republic and was used as the residence of the President of the
Senate. After the unification of the Ionian islands with Greece it
housed the prefecture offices for a time, and is now the home of
the administration of the Ionian University. It is considered the
finest work by the Corfiot architect Ioannis Chronis, because of
its morphological and technical excellence. The composition of the
facade has a monumental character of Classical inspiration, with
the central section slightly advanced and the main storeys
emphasised by very tall Corinthian pilasters of red local stone.
The main rooms in the building have ceilings decorated with early