Ionian Academy, Grimani Barracks
early 17th cent
This building was originally designed to house barracks, in combination with the residence of the Military Commander during the Venetian Rule, and is known as the Ionian Academy. After 1840 it housed the first University of the modern Greek State. After the unification of the Ionian islands with Greece, it served as Public Library, which burned down in 1943. Currently under restoration, it is intended to house the administrative services of the Ionian University.